Why my wisdom tooth giving pain often? Is my wisdom tooth growing now? Do wisdom tooth pain needs any treatment? Should i remove my wisdom tooth?
What are wisdom teeth?
- Third molars are also known as wisdom teeth. They are four in number, two in the upper jaw and two in the lower jaw.
- These teeth erupt at the end of the jaw almost near the throat. These are the last set of teeth to erupt in the oral cavity.
- These teeth usually erupt between 17 to 25 years. However, they can even erupt after 25 years also.
- Most of the time there is no enough space for these teeth to erupt in the jaw. Because of which we are getting wisdom tooth pain often.
- Due to the lack of space in the jaw sometimes these teeth erupt in an improper position.
- These abnormal position of the teeth can cause infection, inflammation, pain and damage to the surrounding tissues and teeth which needs to be treated immediately.
Does the wisdom tooth needs to be removed always?
*Â If the wisdom tooth is not visible in the mouth and deeply placed inside the bone then no need to remove the wisdom tooth.
- When the tooth is fully erupted in the mouth in a proper position and not causing any obvious pain or infection it is not indicated for removal.
When to remove wisdom tooth?
- Pain in wisdom tooth
- IfÂ the tooth is causing infection and swelling
- Reduced mouth opening
- Bleeding from gums which covering the wisdom tooth
- Wisdom tooth impinging on gums
- Cheek biting
- Erupting in wrong position and angle
- When food got stuck in wisdom tooth and tooth next to it
- Decayed tooth
- Bad breath
- Causing damage to the next healthy tooth
- No opposing tooth, when it is not involved in chewing
- Cyst or abscess formation around the tooth
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Radiating pain to ear and headache
Tooth removal procedure:
- After a complete clinical and radiological examination local anesthesia is given to numb the area prior to the wisdom tooth removal.
- Here at our clinic, the local anesthesia is given using painless injection technique(STA system)
- A completely erupted wisdom tooth removed by a simple extraction.
- While a partially erupted wisdom tooth requires a surgical removal(impaction)
- Surgical removal or impaction is a minor surgical procedure, which requires opening of the gumsÂ and removal bones covering the tooth and then the tooth is removed.
- After tooth removal the gums are closed with the help of sutures, which will be removed after 5-7 days.
- Here at our clinic, the removal of tooth is made completely painless and atraumatic using piezo(electric device)
Advantages of Piezo assisted tooth removal:
- Requires less or no removal of gums and bones
- No injury to adjacent tissues
- Reduced bleeding
- No post operative pain and swelling
- Faster and better healing
Post tooth removal care:
- Bite upon the sterile gauze kept over the tooth removal site firmly for one hour.
- After 1 hour wash the hands with soap or hand wash for 20 seconds then remove the gauze with your fingers and safely dispose it.
- After taking out the gauze from the extracted site, have a cup of ice cream or cold fresh juice.
- Donâ€™t use any straw to drink water/juices, just sip and drink
- Take liquid and semisolid food for another 1-2 days.
- Not to take hot, hard and spicy food for 2-3 days.
- Avoid spitting for 24 hours.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol for 1 week.
- Take the prescribed medicines on time without skipping for better healing.
Cost of wisdom tooth removal:
- Cost of wisdom tooth removal in Chennai, India ranges from 2,000-10,000
- The cost varies based on the tooth position, eruption status, amount of tooth structure available, amount of bone coverage and presence of infection.
- To know the exact cost consult our dentist today.
For treatment videos/testimonials CLICK HERE
For more details/appointment CLICK HERE